Thursday, June 26, 2008

The latest

For those who haven't heard, we found out recently that I have non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I had a mass in my throat that I thought was a goiter. I was feeling incredibly tired all the time so I went to get it checked out. After an ultrasound that was "worrisome for malignancy", they removed half of my thyroid (6-13). The pathology came back as lymphoma. This was totally unexpected. We thought at worst it would be thyroid cancer which is just a treatment of radioactive iodine and you're pretty much done. I had a CT scan of my neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis yesterday to see where else the cancer may be. We meet with the oncologist tomorrow to learn about the treatment which, I guess, depends on the stage of the cancer which they can deduce from the CT scan. We are expecting some chemotherapy and possibly some radiation.

I thought it may be somewhat therapeutic for me to blog about what's going on with me. I am a big believer in being open as someone may learn something from me or someone may have some helpful advice for me. After the initial shock of everything, Mike and I are very optimistic that everything is going to be fine- just getting from point A to B may be a little bumpy. We appreciate all the thoughts and prayers of everyone. I will try and keep this updated as things develop.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always a lot easier to leave a comment about a cute picture of Cole or to tell you congratulations about your new home and job. We all know you're going to get through this and we're all praying for you. I was doing a little reading about lymphoma and remembered that Jon Lackey of the Boston Red Sox was someone who battled it as well. He pitched and won game 5 of last years world series soon after treatments and pitched the first no hitter of the 08 season. See what you have to look forward too? A World Series Ring and a no hitter. Pretty sweet if you ask me. ;o) We Love You CC. Brent, Abby, Joyce and Bob.

Anonymous said...

Getting from point A to point B...

How much room do you have in the car? Make space because Sara and I will be with you in the trip to B. So you might have to buy a bigger car, like a bus.

We will always be with you! See you soon.

bride said...

Hi Mike and CC! Terry forwarded me the URL to your site. Cole is getting so BIG. And his toy room - or is that Mike's room? - looks fantastic! I'm keeping you in my thoughts and have to agree with your comment about writing through your experiences. I've read so many studies about how helpful it is. I'll continue to check back.

brewer a said...

We're praying for you CC.

We've been down in your next of the woods a few times this year.

http://flossmoorstation.blogspot.com/2008/02/on-road-again.html

check it out if you get a chance.