Friday, June 27, 2008

Oncologist Appointment

Today I meet with Dr. Hu (pronounced Who- countless jokes there, I know), my oncologist. First, let me say how weird it is that I have an oncologist. The good news is that they couldn’t see any other affected areas on the CT scan. However, the doctor pointed out that this is not a real sensitive test so I have to go in for a PET scan next week. The bad news is that they found some cells that have transformed into a more aggressive type of lymphoma (from Follicular to Diffuse Large cell lmphoma). I have to start some treatments with monoclonal antibodies starting on Thursday- which is really ironic becuase that's what I work on (different antibodies than the one I will get) everyday at my new job.

It’s amazing that every time we go to a doctor there is still another test to do which will provide more information. I had some blood work done today which will help further classify the cancer type and the PET will help with the staging. The doctor just seemed concerned about the fact that I’m symptomatic, the more aggressive cells, and my age- usually not seen with younger people. Next Sunday (July 6) is my 36th birthday- I’m glad I’m still considered to be “younger”. Well, happy birthday to me- you get to start cancer treatments!! I honestly don’t care about the cancer but they BETTER be able to do something about the fatigue. I’m sleeping 12 hours a night and taking a 2 hour nap in the afternoon.

My dad and his wife, Cindy, are coming out next week for the 4th so he will be able to go to the treatment with me (about a 6hour infusion). We are very happy to see them (and thankful for the timing)- especially Cole- everyday he reminds us that Poppy is coming.

Thanks for the Swabowski clan who sent a get well cookie arrangement- you know it won't last long in this house. The trick is to eat them before Mike knows they are here!! Well, that's al for now. Take care and have a great weekend.

Oh, by the way- Strawberry Twizzlers makes everything better!!

8 comments:

Jen said...

So it takes cancer to get you to start blogging again. Wow, tough crowd. Kidding of course. Just want you to know that if you need anything at all let us know. The nice thing is we are in the states now so only a hop, skip and a jump away. You should probably come to Costa Rica to recover don't you think? It will be so much easier with our maid and what not. :0) Strawberry twizzlers uh??? Is this according to Cole? Please let me know what we can do. I feel helpless, especially when I get 3rd hand info. from Rob. Thank God you are blogging about it so I can get the "real" story. I know you will beat this and live for many many more years. After we all we have many more adventures to take together. You are in my prayers double time. :0) Only because you are always in my prayers. Love you all and miss you tons,

Anonymous said...

C.C. I'm glad the cookie arrangement made it okay. I know it won't make things better but we were hoping it would put a smile on your face since we can't be there to help make you smile! You are in our prayers and we know that you will beat this so we have many more years together. Please let us know if there is anything you need as we are always happy to lend a helping hand, hug, or whatever. Hugs and kisses to you all!

Anonymous said...

Having experienced cancer, I know how effective prayers can be. We have added you to every prayer chain we are a part of. Personally I am grateful that they are doing all these tests as it just helps knowing that everything is being done that can be done plus helps with the treatment plan. How ironic that you work on the med they are giving you.
I agree with Jennifer - I appreciate the "real" story so please keep blogging.
All our love - Aunt Mickey & Uncle Fred

Anonymous said...

CC we were wondering if you would like our receipt for our famous strawberry twizzler cookies. I think that will help. Good luck with everything, we will keep you, Mike and Cole in our thoughts.
Bob, Julie and Cole's future girlfriend Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

According to Google earth, you guys need to water your lawn. Here is the receipt for Strawberry Twizzler - Choco-Chip cookies. You need some store bought toll house cookies, a ag of twizzlers, and a tube of crazy glue.
Step 1. Bake the cookies
Step 2. (tricky part) Apply crazy glue to the edge of the cookies (if you put the crazy glue on the twizzlers they will NOT stick)
Step 3. Form and hold twizzler around the edge of cookie, do not crush cookie
Step 4. Enjoy

Anonymous said...

Thank You for posting your thoughts and information. We are all concerned & really happy to hear it from the source when you feel like it. In all our prayers as always, extra special prayers these days. Let us know when we can help - and be sure you amble on down to Memphis this summer before school starts. Hugs, kisses and tons of baby love ... Pat/Joe

Anonymous said...

CC, I think you should get the "receipt" from Bob on those cookies, because they sound awful.

Unknown said...

If I were you, I would get a refund on that "receipt" ... super glue?!?