Friday, July 4, 2008

HAPPY 4th of JULY!!

Yesterday's doctor's appointment went really well. There was "no evident disease" (commonly called NED) in the PET scan which means I'm in remission. We still are going forward with the Rituxin treatments since I am so young and there were more aggressive cells found in the pathology. I asked the doc if this was curable and about the chances of relapse. He said that follicular lymphoma is not curable and the changes of relapse are "100%". Really, 100%, not 99%, who says that? He went on to say that I will DEFINITELY have this again in the future but it could be 10-20 years before it needs to be treatment. I will have PET scans every 3 months for the first year, every 6 months the second year, and annually every year thereafter. Very similar to after the brain tumor, huh?

I had the first treatment yesterday which took 7 hours. We were about 2 hours in when I started to fell my throat swell and get scratchy and I felt like I had the worst flu of my life. They immediately stopped the infusion and gave my more Benadryl- then we had to start all over again. After that things went smoothly with no more side effects. I have 3 more treatments- each Thursday for the next 3 weeks.

Cole just fell down on his face- he look up at Daddy and said, "I need to be more careful". Perfect, he's starting to parent himself- just what we wanted 8-). Everyone go and enjoy the hotdogs, beer, and fireworks. Later...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi CC I just wanted you to know that we love you and are constantly praying for your recovery. I hope the pesty molasses goes away and you can walk thru the air with ease. That is great news and it may be noncurable but at least you know what you are up for. It sounds like you have some wonderful doctors which is a blessing. Happy Independence Day!
Love Abby

Anonymous said...

Hey Everybody, what do you think of Cancer?
- Jerry Seinfeld

What uplifting news today CC. I hope you and Mike can celebrate your birthday's with a little more peace. And I hope on this Independence day, everyone's beer and food taste a little better now, knowing this news.
Happy Fourth of July everyone. I have to go blow off my fingers.

Mr. B

Jane Bingham said...

Hi, Your blog came up on my google alerts for non-hodgkins lymphoma. I also have follicular non-hodgkins lymphoma and I had 4 rounds of Rituxan last year. I also run a cancer support group online that is just for women with cancer. If you ever want to talk with someone else with NHL email me anytime. JaneBingham@gmail.com. Also email if you are interested in joining the support group. Stay strong.

Anonymous said...

PRAISE GOD for little miracles. You are a wonder child. We will continue to keep you on our church and friends' prayer lists.

FYI - I strongly recommend speaking with Jane and her support group. It will be worth you while.

Hey - every year - not so bad.

Love to all - Aunt Mickey & Uncle Fred

Pilgrim said...

Self parenting - I like it! I hope that you all really enjoy all the celebrations you have coming up (birthdays and your anniversary). I am glad that overall it is good news. I think our boys would have a blast together.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!

So glad to hear your good news!

THBFF

Unknown said...

Hey CC...
We were both so happy to hear your scan went well. We are also so proud of Cole for self parenting, we knew he could do it! He's so cute with his little googer... let him enjoy...I sucked my thumb until I was in the 6th grade and I turned out ok! ha ha :-) Hope you have a wonderful b-day and anniversary. We are praying for you, Mike and baby boy.
Love and miss ya
Nicole

Alice said...

CC
Good to hear that you are doing good. I was alittle worried, but I know that you are a strong person. I sure miss you here in TH. Take care and God bless!!!!
Miss you
Alice

Anonymous said...

Hi, CC! Happy Belated Birthday! I had no idea. I hope you, Mike, and Cole enjoyed yourselves. I wanted you guys to know that I miss you so much and wish I could be there to help and support you in any way possible. I know I don't need to tell you this, but you and Mike are so fortunate to have each other. It's so rare these days that you see two people that are genuinely happy together. Cole is very fortunate too, because I can't think of a more loving home in which a child can grow. I looked at all the pictures and I can't believe how much he has grown over the last year. Maybe I need to come out there and visit you guys soon. Who knows-Maybe I will eventually end up in Saint Louis.

Anyway, I wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and wish you all the best. I know I am so far away right now, but if there is ever anything you need that I can do for you please let me know. Take care and I will talk to you soon!

Love, Dora

Bob Borhauer said...

CC,
Joyce and I have been thinking about and praying for you ever since Brent told us. In reading your comments, it is obvious that you have been blessed with a very positive attitude, (is there really any other kind), a loving and supporting husband, family and network of friends.
Keep fighting girl and with the support you have you will score a victory.
We look forward to seeing you and Mike in October.
With Love,
Bob and Joyce Borhauer